Thursday, February 8, 2024

Statement of Purpose (SOP)

Guidelines
• Statement of Purpose is an essay covering the important details of your personality and achievements with reference to the course you have applied for. You have to discuss your purpose with which you are pursuing the particular programme. You need to justify and support your choice and decision to apply for the particular course and the university you have selected for further studies.
• Format of the SOP
Write the answer as per the word limit given in the question. (150 – 500 words)
Write the answer in approximately 5-6 paragraphs covering the following points:
1. First paragraph – Introduction (Personal background, mindset, aim in life)
2. Second paragraph – The reason to join the course, area of interest
3. Third paragraph – The qualities suitable for the career goal
4. Fourth paragraph – Experience in the field, special factor in your personality
5. Fifth paragraph – Conclusion (How will the course benefit you in career)
• Essential points to be covered in an SOP:
1. The course applied for
2. Reasons for pursuing the particular programme
3. The reasons for selecting a particular University/ Institute.
4. Additional skills you planning to gain from the course
5. Your specialties.

Example of SOP 
Q. Write an SOP to apply for the Batchelor’s degree in law at the Yale University, USA. Being from a lawyers’ family you are naturally inclined towards judiciary system. You have won many awards at various at school and college level competitions. Reading and meeting new people are your favourite hobbies and you have worked with an NGO during your summer vacation. You had taken part in the human rights movement for the local people from rural area of Vidarbha region of Maharashtra. 
 
Ans.: Being surrounded by lawyers all my life and having that innate quality to argue my case, it was no surprise to anyone when I decided that I wished to be a lawyer. The strong urge to let my point be heard no matter who I was up against, is something that ran deep in the blood of my family. From childhood I always enjoyed elocution and speaking in front of everyone. It always gave me a sense of satisfaction when I could captivate the audience and have them cling on to my every word. While growing up my ideal career was always changing until one day, I saw a case my father argued. His client was a young lady who everyone believed was guilty to the point she herself had given up hope of ever winning the case. To everyone’s surprise my father did win the case and I will never forget the young lady’s face. It will forever be etched in my memory and that was the day I decided that if I had the capabilities and qualities to become a lawyer that could empower people, then I should try my best to become such a lawyer.
 
Yale is definitely the dream university of many young students such as myself. Apart from being an Ivy League institute, Yale offers diverse courses that help in the all-round development of a student. The opportunities provided are endless and I hope that I can make good use of them and enrich myself in the process.
 
After carefully looking through the course, I have realised how well suited it is for an individual like me. During my school years I have participated in various inter-school and inter-college events. I have had the honour of winning the “National Forum
Debate Competition” twice in a row. I have placed first in the 45th International Commonwealth Elocution Competition with participants from more than 25 countries. I was extremely lucky to win “Best Delegate” in the mock UN held by IIMUN and had a chance to interact with a few delegates. The following year I was invited by IIMUN to chair one of their mock UNs. I have participated in various other elocution competitions and once had the honour of representing my country at the International Public Speaking Competition, in which I placed third. Last summer I had a wonderful opportunity to work with the “Care India” NGO. I teamed up with a few other students and with our legal knowledge we helped fight the human rights battle of the rural people from the Vidarbha region. I have completed my under graduation at the prestigious NLSIU Bangalore – National Law School of India University and I wish to continue the rest of my education at a renowned university such as Yale.
 
In the words of Nelson Mandela, “Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world” I hope to continue my educational journey and do my very best to become a successful lawyer with the help of the Yale university. I am confident that Yale can help me bring out the best in me and one day I hope to become a proud alumnus of Yale.
 

Example of Summary Writing

Unseen passage for summary writing: The impact of social media on mental health is a growing concern. The social media platforms showcase th...